Contexte et enjeux
Ce cours est dispensé dans le cadre du Certificat en Financement du Négoce International
Cours en anglais
Within the petroleum industry principally, due to the higher amounts of credit exposure at risk than in the other raw commodities, banks and trade financing institutions (lender) have set-up specific credit securities over receivables.
It is therefore important to dig deeper into the understanding of such specific credit securities and as well as the way to mitigate their implied risks for the lender.
In this course, we will address in details their mechanisms as well as their main practical applications. This course serves as a pre-requisite for the course “Trade Finance Operation Structuring (oil)”.
At then end of this training program, the participant will :
- Understand the main characteristics of the receivable financing securities used in the trade finance industry.
- Apply main banks’ specific receivable securities good practices
- Structure a receivable financing operation
Specific receivables securities applicable in advance payment (case to the goods supplier) :
- The “Supplemental agreement”
- The political/credit risk insurance cover / loss-payee clause
Specific receivable securities applicable in open account sales (case to the goods buyer)
- Payment undertaking (PU)
- The political/credit risk insurance cover / loss payee clause
- Specific documentary credit with amount automatic fluctuation clause known as “Platt’s formula” and “Api gravity or density escalation or de-escalation clause”
Professionals currently employed or looking to work in the financing operations of commodities trading:
- Trade finance credit analysts
- Trade finance relationship managers/account officers
- Trade finance risk managers
- Trade finance documentary credit specialists
- Trade finance compliance and legal officers
- Commodity Traders / Finance teams / Treasurers / Operators
Biographie du formateur
Managing Director of the Swiss office of Menara Capital (UK), Philippe Steiner brings with him over 20 years of commodity trade finance experience through various senior positions gained in top ranked CTF banks such as BNP Paribas, notably in documentary credits and the trade finance client relationship management sphere.
As an adviser on commodity trade finance matters through his company Commodity Trade Invest, he currently services a diversified portfolio of trading companies, private investors and commodity trade finance banking institutions.
Philippe is a Swiss Federal Expert in Banking Economy and he also holds the Documentary Credit Specialist Certification from IFS UK/London Institute (ICC supported certification).